The League of Women Voters of Connecticut provides myriad resources for members, voters and Connecticut's Local Leagues. Our Library contains links to our reports and publications.
League members are men (since 1974) and women who wish to become better informed about government processes and to work for more transparent and effective government on the municipal and state level. Members are as active as their time allows.
Advocacy & Networking Opportunities
- 10 Minute Activist
Traditional League Programs
State League Events
- Meetings with Legislators
- Educational programs and publications
- Members' Meetings
- Voter Services
- Free Publicity: You can publicize any local League activity that would be of interest to others around the state by sending your flier/write-up to the LWVCT office. It can be e-mailed to every local League Board member in the State E-News (deadline is the second Tuesday of each month except July and August) or in separate e-mail notices. All submissions are subject to editing, and the LWVCT president has final approval of all printed materials and communications.
- Study/Concurrence Assistance: The LWVCT keeps a list of volunteers who can help your League get speakers and materials for any study, concurrence, or consensus that the LWVCT or LWVUS is asking you to participate in; and if your League is planning on a local study the LWVCT can direct you to members of the PI Team or to other Leagues for guidance if you would like.
- Political Action Assistance: The LWVCT Public Issues Team often has prepared position statements that you can use in preparing testimony before government committees, letters to the editor of your local paper, etc. These are usually available from the Hamden office or on the LWVCT website.
- Liability Insurance: Your League's liability insurance will be renewed automatically each June. Coverage is $2,000,000 per incident with a cap of $4,000,000 per year. The $12 cost is billed with your League's first PMP payment.
- D&O Insurance: Your League has the option of buying Directors' and Officers' "Errors and Omissions" insurance from the same agency the LWVCT uses at below-market rates. The cost is billed directly to your League.
- State E-News: LWVCT provides an e-mailed state E-News, formerly known as the Board Report, to all members of all local League Boards approximately three days after each State Board meeting. If you are not on the internet, the LWVCT will provide one hard copy of the Board Report per League to you.
- Publications: You can order, via mail, fax, or e-mail, any State League publication through the LWVCT office. Orders can be billed to or pre-paid by your treasurer. If a League member will be in Hamden, call and arrange for pre-packaged pick up; other orders will be mailed.
- Other Free State Mailings or E-Mailings: Presidents also receive a set of Local League handbooks, LWVCT League Directory, a copy of all study kits (as published), and notification of new sales items and publications from LWVCT. All League members receive the CT Voter newsletter.
- Website: the LWVCT website, http://www.lwvct.org, has sections on advocacy/public issues, membership, and a main page for each local League. It is a source for copies of LWVCT publications and current voter information.
- Electronic Voters' Guides: During election season in even-numbered years, the LWVCT posts candidate information on Vote411.org. In odd-numbered years we will help local Leagues publish such guides on their web pages on our site.
- Membership Assistance: The LWVCT prints membership envelopes that every League can use, and sells them to local Leagues at cost. The office staff can furnish you with copies of your membership list by mail or e-mail, and provides telephone and on-line assistance with membership questions and problems.
- Tax Status: The LWVCT maintains an IRS "group exemption" that covers all of Connecticut's local Leagues. The state office staff updates the list and files the required reports with the IRS every year to maintain your League's 501(c)(4) status. The state office will also provide help and information, as requested, regarding your League's annual 990-N IRS filing.
LWVUS Convention 2012
- Background Info including Workbook, Schedule, Budget
- LWVCT Materials on Sustainability and the Financial Structure of LWV (members only)
The state Board emails its reports to local League Board members ten times a year. Links to recent e-news board reports appear below.
"How to" Series (revised Oct 2013)
Free publications, except for shipping & handling
League logo items
- League dues envelopes
- LWV lapel buttons, large
- Bookmarks, e.g., Bill of Rights
- Flag sets with stands, desk size
- Signs "Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport"
- Signs for debate timekeepers
- "Vote on Tuesday" signs with stands
in a password protected location containing sample letters, best practices, informal opinions about speakers and venues.
Contact the LWVCT Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org